Diva Amy's Road Glide

Diva Amy's  Road Glide
Welcome to Viva La Diva I post once a week about my adventures on my Harley Davidson Motorcycle, my shopping, my great places to visit and get bites to eat, I hope you enjoy and always comment and or email me with ideas, suggestions or anything ! * Amy Skaling 818 - 519 - 7842 Email is: divamy@teamdiva.com

Monday, November 3, 2008

Diva Rides to Southern California for LOVE RIDE











Last Friday, Wolfgang and I hopped on our bikes and rode from Carefree, Arizona to Newport Beach, Ca. His wife, Kiki drove a car with us through all the back roads we could find. Riding with the Wolf aka. The Chopper King is a good experience as he knows all the back roads to anywhere! We started out on the Carefree Hwy to Hwy 60 all the way to Interstate 10 west. Perfect weather and lunch at Nancy's Cafe in Quartzite....when is the last time you had a canned, cinnamon marinated apple slice served with your food??? Hitting southern California on a Friday afternoon could have it's problems--but on a motorcycle--the carpool lane was the way to roll... I was in Newport Beach at sunset. Wolf and Kiki travelled on to Santa Monica and I stayed with Aunt Susie in NB. Riding down Jamboree I could smell and feel the ocean air---felt great after a long, hot ride though the desert!

Saturday morning I met Yaya Diva Susie and her daughter Megan at Starbucks to catch up and off to see Stefan, Stascha and family at their store, Stefan Kaelin's on Pacific Coast Hwy in Newport Beach. We were busy designing scarves and beanies I will make for them this winter--they also have a store in Aspen!! Lunch was with Aunt Susie at Rusty Pelican on Coast Hwy---we dined with a full view of the harbor and yachts and such fabulous food--I recommend the tuna Pokey!!!That afternoon I rode the bike south on PCH through Corona Del Mar and Laguna Beach to the Ritz Carleton in Dana Point--my old stomping grounds. The ride was fabulous--and on my way back north to Newport--dear old friend Fitzy passed me --I yelled to him wanting to know how he recognized me---how could you not on the Diva Glide???
Bright and early in the fog, thick as pea soup, I took off Sunday morning for Glendale to ride in the LOVE RIDE--it didn't clear up till I got to the exit for Glendale---another weather condition I will add to my riding experiences! I was a vendor at the Pomona Fairgrounds last year for this event--so I didn't get to participate in the parade ride. I heard there were at least 30,000 bikes riding in the event this year.Wolfgang got me into the VIP area and as you can see--I saw lots of friends and had photo ops with Nancy and Willie G. Davidson (we had met at Daytona Bike Week this past spring) and Peter Fonda--one of the original Easy Riders! Jay Leno was the grand marshall and MC, and Lorenzo Lamas sang the national anthem. I also met Mike Metzger ...aka, The Godfather of freestyle motocross!!! He is also a tattoo artist--and son Sam was totally impressed with this encounter!! My only regret is that my bike wasn't near so I could show it off---need to work on those credentials for next year!!! Once the engines started at the front of the procession--it took at least an hour for me to actually start my bike and move inch by inch down the parade route---lots of waving, peace signs, and thumbs up as we passed the crowds--and once we hit the Interstate 210--every overpass had cheering crowds as well. It only took an hour to ride to Pomona Fairgrounds and I cruised the show and saw all my vendor buddies--they said it finally was busy that day only--bummer since they had been there since Thursday. I hung out with Tory and Russell Mitchell at Exile Cycles---love those guys! It was too hot to check out the concerts--but I could hear them--Foo Fighters and ZZ Top performed. My ride back to Newport Beach was easy--carpool lane again--and got even more thumbs up and waves from fellow travellers.

Monday---Wolf, Kiki and I headed south to San Diego and we girls stopped off in Encinitas to see my dear divas at Hansen's--funny enough--they were having a Bogner clinic!!! They made time to come see the Diva Glide and take some pics--and lots of hugs--I miss that gang!We stayed in La Jolla at Claudia and Bill's "barn" on their estate in Pottery Canyon--peaceful and cozy!
Tuesday we were off for Arizona the scenic way. We stopped in Julian for lunch and killer apple pie--wonderful twisty windy roads--then to Salton Sea and through the Joshua Tree National Park north of I 10 ---I had never seen this park in all the years driving back an forth--it is a fabulous road in great condition and perfect for nice turns on the bike. We went through Twenty Nine Palms and back on to HWY 60 again through Wickenberg to Carefree Hwy--all in all a total of 12 hours to get home--with lots of stops! I loved every minute of the travels with the Wolf and his Queen. I am ready to go again!!

This week I am off with the boys from Aspen to explore the south eastern part of Arizona--staying in Bisbee for a few nights!!
Viva la Diva!!!

Photos:
Hansen's Divas
Fiereks and Kaelins
Russell Mitchell
Peter Fonda
Nancy and Willi G Davidson
Links:

No comments: